Saturday, December 15, 2012

No revenge

Fergie told yesterday's press conference that despite the events of the last day of the seaon up there on Wearside last season, United won't take the field with revenge on their minds. I now it's Fergie's philosophy that revenge is not a good emotion in football, but it would be nice if a couple of the players had it in the back of their mind's today, if only for the sake of our goal difference. It really is about time we gave somebody an absolute chasing and today seems as good a day as any.

Music

Grizzly Bear - Shields: It starts off sounding very Jeff Buckley to my ears, no bad thing, but as the album progresses, the band's own voice really hits the mark, the final track Sun in your eyes is one of my favourite songs of the year.

Jimmy Edgar - Majenta: I'm a bit of a fan of this guy, and though this didn't wow me straight away, it got me tapping me feet to it soon enough. More dance floor techno than i generally listen too, sexy in a good way.

Samuel Yirga -Guzo: World music or jazz, it veers more towards jazz for me, but whatever it is excellent. Ethiopian seems to have a vibe all of its own, well it reminds me at times of Mulatu Asatke, that's as far as my knowledge od that goes.

The Jon Spencer blues explosion - Meat and bone: I'm partial to the distorted heavy blues guitar work of Jon Spencer and this a pretty good return album from the trio, to be played loud.

The xx - Coexist: After listening to their debut, i thought i might as well listen to this years effort. It's definitely more of a grower, slower more of a challenging listen. It's good, though i'm not sure the songs are up to the standard of the first album. Maybe i need to immerse myself in it even more.

Wayne Shorter -  Speak no evil: You can't go wrong with mid sixties Wayne Shorter, great playing with a great band behind him, his skills as a songwriter set him apart in the jazz world.



No comments: