Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Jonathan Wilson and Roy Harper, Mazzy Star too

Music

Anna Calvi -One breath: Her second album continues the good work of her debut, a bit more rock n roll than the first, but no worse for it.

Big Sean - Hall of fame: I'm not really a fan of modern commercial hip hop, but i quite liked this, not all of it, it's 18 tracks long and one or two of the tracks are a bit too chart aimed for me.

Deepchord -  DC07,DC08,DC09: I like this, techno, minimalist at times, Berlin influenced.

Jonathan Wilson - Fanfare: I loved his last album Gentle Spirit, a real laurel canyon early seventies affair. His latest album is still a very seventies influenced affair, but with a prog rock flavour added to it. It's defintiely a grower, a very good album again, not quite as good as Gentle Spirit though.

Mazzy Star - Seasons of your day: Although I've heard of them and knew they influenced quite a lot of groups, I've never really listened to Mazzy Star before. I've been missing a good thing, right from the opening track, with it's echoes of Neil Young for me, it's a very laid back indie rock sound.

Roy Harper - Man and myth: I hope this won't be his last album, a serious court case awaits him, because this is a superb album from a top English rock/folk artist, this leans more to the rock side of his oeuvre.

Wooden Shjips - Back to land: I can't believe I've only just heard this San Francisco psych/rock outfit, as this is excellent, I suppose it's because this is an in sound at the moment. I suppose no group wants to be associated with Status Quo these days, but at times it sounds like a far more out there Status Quo live, the album, guitar jamming sound.






 






No comments: