Tuesday, January 14, 2014

United and loans

It was interesting to see Jesse Lingard on the bench last night and even more interesting to see him start for the under 21's last night. Is he going to go back to Birmingham or is he going to stay at the club. Amongst the more interesting articles last week, a couple of journo's made the asserion that Moyes may be about to start putting his faith at the feet of our youth structure as some of the older guard fade away. I'd love that to be right, but Januzaj apart, we haven't really seen any evidence for the theory.
But last night, Lingard started for the under 21's, supposedly scored a screamer and almost got another. There's no pretending he is another Januzaj, the Kosovan/Belgian's a bit special, but I have no doubt he has the potential to be a first team Manchester United player, one blessed with the knack of finding the back of the net. I'll be honest I would love him to stay at the club for the rest of the season, but only if he is going to get a reasonable amount of time on the pitch for the first team, starting and maybe from the bench.
I was surprised to read Will Keane started last night too, I had read that he had come back to United because he was injured. That's not such great news, I think, he really needs to be playing regularly to try and catch up for that lost season. It looks as if Coyle's sacking measn Keane's no longer figures in the new manager Rosler's plans. It's a shame, because before that injury, he looked to me as if he would be the first of the next batch of youngsters to make the step up to the first team squad, he was definitely first team material. Until he's playing regularly, it's hard to know his career is going to go   

It looks like anything to do with Manchester United is fair game if that Chris Smalling story has got anything to do with anything. What a crock of shit that was, seriously who the fuck gets offended by shit like that, it's like Monty Python never happened.
I suppose we're now seeing why Fergie treated the press with such contempt. Don't get me wrong I still think his approach was counter productive, but you can seee his point when you see some of the nonesense stories circulating, even in the so called quality press this week. Stories about Moyes losing the dressing roon, with no serious source, just a bunch of put together assumptions. Now I'm not suggesting that Moyes hasn't lost some of the dressing room, it's just so obviously a time to print anything you like, that might be plausibly true as United's season disintegrates before our eyes. Of course some reds will not be able to distinguish between obvious bullshit and stories that have some plausibility about them. It's at times like this, it doesn't pay to take the sporting press too seriously.

Music

Arcade Fire - Reflektor: Since their excellent debut, I've not really understood why the music press have treated them as if they were a great band as their follow up efforts were decent, but not earth shattering. So I when I saw a couple of average reviews I wouldn't whether I should bother with it. I'm glad I did, because it's the best thing they have done since, the influence of LCD Soundsystem's James Murphy is pretty obvious, but it's a fine bunch of songs.

Chvrches - The bones of what you believe: I don't really remember the jocks being big on electro pop, maybe this is where they start to put that right. It's a strong album, radio friendly but enough for those who like their music a bit more challenging.

Darkside - Buenos Aires dream: Not the supergroup duo of the same name, this is an Argentine based producer who mixes the beats, with jazz and a latin tinged flavour, easy listening perhaps, but catchy as.

Haggard - Various stages of ice: Not Earth shattering, but a reasonably enjoyable slab of hard rock from this US outfit.

Lanterns on the lake - Until the colours run: A pretty fair follow up to their debut album, I'm not sure I found it quite as good as some of the critics did, but it certainly has its moments.

Omar Souleyman - Wenu Wenu: Whilst I've heard a little bit of north African music and reasonably enjoy it, I've never listened to anything from the middle east, Israeli jazz apart. So this blew me away to be honest, it's insanely catchy, and never gets boring.

Prefab Sprout - Crimson red: I didn't listen to everything they, or should I say Paddy Mcaloon did in the 80's, but what i heard, I generally liked. I read that this was really just a set of demo's that he's decided release. All I can say to that it is, wow, more demo's please. Perfect pop music, in a good way.



No comments: