Monday, May 12, 2014

Southampton 1-1 Manchester United

This won't be much of a report, i couldn't watch the game live, I've only seen short highlights, so can only go off what I've been told.
When Giggs was handed the reigns, this was the one fixture that i thought might be a struggle, I can't have been on my own in that, who the fuck saw that Sunderland result coming. So I'll be honest, given the fact there wasn't really anything realistic at stake and taking into consideration they are not a bad team nowadays, I would have took a point as a decent result.
It seems it was a bit of a jekyll and hide performance, going through the motions first half, in control for most of the second. The goal conceded should obviously have been disallowed, whilst Mata's free kick was a thing of beauty. I've read some some reds lambast United's players for not taking the game seriously. I can't really go along with that, it's human nature that the 5 to 10% edge you need to really be on top of your game will be missing when there's nothing at stake. Add to the mix players with a world cup to look forward to and you could argue we were lucky to get second half fight back. I actually expected a few more end of season games like yesterday and I'm fairly sure we would have got them, but for the sacking of Moyes. I'm old enough to remember the 70's and 80's, we had whole second half of the seasons like that at times, ah the memories.
Anyhow the fun starts now, how long will Van Gaal take to be announced, who's out and who's in, will Woodward show something like competence in the transfer market this summer. It seems as if Shaw is on his way in. That's one of the positions that desperately needed sorting done, let's hope for more of the same, not the Woodward quoted "star" signings, that we don't actually need, ie, Cavani. Central midfield is an absolute must, at least one, preferabbly two, and if that rumour that Fabregas will be target again is true, he does not count as central midfield for me, so I hope that's bollocks.

No comments: