Tuesday, October 21, 2014

West Brom 2-2 Manchester United

Well another entertaining game, not always for the right reasons if you're a red though. Yet again we looked far better going forward than we doid at the back. Even in attack though, there are still problems, and once again, you finish the game wondering what on Earth we'd be like without Di Maria in the team. I hope the knock he came off with isn't too serious, because we need him badly for the next two games against the rent boys and the divs.
Van Gaal brough Jones back into the team at centre back and gave Januzaj his first start of the season. It has to be said neither really covered themselves in glory on the night. All the back four looked shaky, some think Rojo had a decent game, I suppose he was better than the other three, but that's not saying much. Shaw had a stinker, I thought he had showed some promise on his first two outings, but he was completely off the pace last night. I would persevere with him for the time being, but he'll have to improve dramatically on last night's display.
I never really worked out what our formation was last night, was it 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, whichever it was, Januzaj didn't seem to appreciate it. I couldn't work out what was wrong with him, I can't ever remember watching him and seeing him never take a man on. I know he was double marked, but that doesn't generally stop him having a go.
Mata gave another of his ineffectual displays where he runs around getting and giving the ball, neat and tidy, but causing the opposition no problems at all. He's a nice footballer, but he's not the answer at number ten. Mourinho knew what he was doing when he got almost £40 million for him.
Ahead of him Van Persie had the kind of game we have seen from him all season, what was worse was he had a couple of decent chances and couldn't finish them. Add to that his greed when he should have teed Mata up in the first half after the goalie had forced him wide and even I have to admit, if it's a choice between him and Rooney, I'd go with the scouser.
I doubt I was on my own in fearing the worst when he brought Fellaini on, but he had a decent game, even if you took the great equaliser out of it. Herrera was piss poor during the first half, you can only surmise that he wasn't fit and that Van Gaal will play people not 100% despite his protestations that he doesn't do that. Blind had a decent game, I do wonder how he'll cope against players with power and pace though. I'd like to see Carrick back in the team on Sunday, let's put it like that. The late equaliser was a superb effort, if Blind adds goals to his game, he could become some player.
We really needed to win last night, given the two games ahead of us. I really don't know what to expect over the next couple of weeks. I'd take a couple of draws right now, even though points wise that wouldn't really do us much good. I just think if we could show we can live with the two best teams in the league at the moment, that would be more of a boost to our players confidence than anything else. I mean, I can't really see us taking six points, can you.

No comments: