Monday, February 10, 2014

Manchester United 2-2 Fulham

You would have to be a masochist to enjoy watching United at the moment. We weren't terrible yesterday, there were a fair few chances, and some decent football, but it's so fucking one dimensional it's embarrassing. When you add an inability to defend, even against a team at the foot of the table who look doomed to me, it all adds up to a very unhappy mix.
The team selected, told us that once again, there would be no change in the tactical approach of cross, cross and cross again. There even seemed to be a variety to it yesterday as they looked as if they had been practising crossing to the back post. Whether that was because they thought Fulham had a perceived weakness at full back or just for a bit of variety to forever hitting the first man, who knows. But I know this, Manchester United should be able to beat botom of the table teams at home without having to work out special plans on how to beat them.
I was just thinking how poor the visitors had been and were when with their first attack they just ran right through the middle of our defence to open the scoring. There seems to be no answer to our woes at the back. Vidic has been a great player for us, but I wasn't to alarmed to hear he was offski in the summer. He has never been the same player since his knee injury, and there hasn't really been much improvement when he has been at the heart of the back four this season. He's not been anywhere near as bad as Ferdinand, but that's not saying much is it. His attitude is still spot on, but that only takes you so far. I would have loved to have seen Michael Keane given a go yesterday, we may have done no better, but at least we would have been finding things out for next season and the future.
Some will say that this is the least appropriate moment to be bringing young kids in, but to me, there's never really going to be a good time this season. I could take results like yesterday's and last weeks, a lot easier, if I could see some kind of progress, even if it's just seeing some of the youngsters won't be good enough, at least they will have had a chance to show if they can share in the future of the club. Reading Red News Hot gossip column's comment on how the club's hieracrhy feel about our youth system, just leads me to shake my head even more.
I'll be honest, the longer the game went on the less I could see us scoring, but I thought if we did then we would probably go on to win it, as their heads would drop. Well the goals came late, but once we had them, the last thing I really wanted to see u do was try and hold on for the 2-1 victory when they were there for taking for a third. Well you know the rest, it was almost predictable.
That game on Wednesday will be intersting to say the least, as bad as we have been this season, the worst being at the Etihad, we haven't yet plumbed the ineptness of Arsenals's first half display at Anfield. I'm fucked if I know what to expect at the Emirates, anything could happen.
I'll end on a positive, even though we didn't, and haven't really employed him, as I'm sure he wants to be employed, as our main creative force, Mata is really starting to look the part. He was excellent yesterday, his attitude was spot on, he looks like a real team player with just the right amount of ego. There was no moaning as he was shunted from to left to right and then into his best position, only to be shunted out wide again to allow Hernandez to come on. I'm afraid that was another baffling decsion to me.
As for Moyes, I'll say it again, if only to try and convince myself, we can't really judge him until he has got his own team, but it's fair to say, I'm less than impressed with what I'm seeing at the moment, on and off the pitch

No comments: