Thursday, February 20, 2014

"There used to be a football club over there"

This Paul Wilson column is the best piece on Rooney contract situation that I've read, it says it all really. It doesn't make any sense from a footballing point of view, he is not one of the best players in the premier league, never mind Europe, never mind the world. I can't see how it makes much sense economically for the Glazer's to commit to paying Rooney those kind of wages until he's 33, when he's deteriorated over the last couple of years and is almost certain to continue to do so over the remainder of this new contract.
I've read that they are desperate, that's the operative word here, it seems to me, to sign him up because he is the one face that corporate sponsors, around the world, associate with Manchester United. If that's really the case, it brings Keith Burkinshaw's quote to mind," there used to be a football club over there".



Music

Midlake - Antiphon: I've never really got the critical acclaim for this lot, yes they have made a couple of pretty good albums, but they were never classics to my mind. I found the last two albums easier to admire than love. That said i really did enjoy this latest effort, surprising since their front man and main songwriter left before they recorder it, coincidence?

Parquet courts -Light up gold: I think this was Piccadilly records album of last year, it's certainly a bit of a corker, rough and ready indie rock. I can't put my finger on why, but this could only have come from the other side of the pond, UK indie bands just never really do the indie/grunge kind of sound anything like justice.

Saada Bonaire - Saada Bonaire: A lost classic from the 80's, this is surprisingly good, disco meets Nico via Grace Jones, very 80's, but in a decadently good way.

Sharon Jones and the dap kings - Give the people what they want: After her cancer scare, Jones and the dap kings return with more of the same, and that's definitely a good thing. I saw Richard Williams blog remark that whilst the dap kings make good albums, they have yet to pen any top notch tunes, and I suppose that is true. Still they do this soul revival thing as good as anybody else around at the moment.

The Amorphous Androgynous - The Cartel volume 1: I knew this lot were critically lauded, and had a fair few plugs from the likes of Noel Gallagher amongst others, but this was the first full album I have heard. I love the Future sound of London, but I've got to say I love this even more, it's right up my street.

The Gaslight troubadours - Clock work curiosities: A pretty decent electronica/sampling album, I presume they are UK based, decent music, with a nice dollop of humour thrown in.

The Young Knives - Sick Octave: I admire the way that they have never really stood still since their excellent post/punk indie debut, that said that would still be my favourite album of the Leicestershire trio's. It's a solid effort, but never quite manages to really take off.

No comments: