Monday, April 21, 2014

Everton 2-0 Manchester United

I didn't see yesterday's game live, I've only just seen it, but I can't say I was massively surprised when I heard the result, I hadn't expected much. Since getting knocked out by Bayern, my over riding thought has been, the sooner the manager goes the better. So whilst it may be gutting to have now lost all four games against Merseyside opposition, indeed all six against fellow north west teams if we add City, the silver lining is that surely the penny will have dropped now that David Moyes is just not a Manchester United manager.
There have been so many stages of the season where you have wondered what on Earth he was thinking, team selection, his blatant favouring of Rooney, his tactics, his substitutions, and if that lot wasn't enough to be getting you the sack, his media appearances are a disaster waiting to happen every time he opens his mouth. It's been obvious for ages that he's not the type of manager that players are going to run through walls for, he's no leader of men, that's for sure.
As bad as the results have been, the league position, the lame exits from both domestic cup competitions, that hasn't been the killer argument against giving him another season as far as I'm concerned. The dagger to this reds heart is the football that United have played this season, it's been woeful. On the odd occasions we have managed to play decent football, it almost always seems to have happened by accident. The two defeats at home to Liverpool and City were so bad it was beyond belief, yet I can't have been on my own, in fully expecting both of them. We had bad defeats at home under Fergie, but you could guarantee there would be a reaction the next week. To have been so completely out played by Liverpool, but then just meekly get turned over by City in our next home game almost without a fight, was just totally unacceptable. And unacceptable at any top six team, never mind United.
What's most galling, for me anyway, is watching Liverpool, forget the horrible reality that they're going to win the title for a second, if you can. But watch the football they have been playing under Brendan and then compare that to the dross we have had to put up with week after week. Are Liverpool, man for man, squad for squad, any better than us, never mind, that much better than us. We all knew that the squad Moyes inherited from Fergie was not quite what Fergie would have had the world believe, but Jesus Christ, it's a damn site better than Moyes has managed to bring out of them.
I suppose the question for those of us that would be getting rid of Moyes as soon as possible, and I've been in that camp since going out of the champions league is, if not Moyes then who. You can't just get rid of a manager without having a replacement. I'd give Giggs the job until the end of the season and the take stock. If you ask me would i give Giggs the job full time, the answer is yes providing the back room staff included Meulensteen. If you ask me who my ideal candidate would be, of proven top class managerial talent, I would have to go for Klopp. His players do want to run through walls for him and they play attractive modern attacking football. As I think he will be out of reach, I see Red Iss have suggested knowing money should have a little flutter on Quieroz and Andy Mitten has hinted earlier in the season that he would love to come back to the club he regards as "his". He wouldn't be my first choice, but perhaps he would be a safe choice. He knows the club inside out, the players seemed to play for him during his time here, tactically he's obviously going to be on a different planet to the hapless Moyes, maybe Ronaldo, his son, could be persuaded to come back. That's a serious thought, because Barcelona's present implosion leads me to believe that Messi to City talk, isn't as far fetched as we might like to believe.
There's talk of Moyes out protests next week, I'm no real fan of that kind of thing, but if that's what it takes! One thing I would say to those planning those kind of things is, don't make it just about Moyes, with the J-Stand disgrace, Make it Moyes out, Woodward out, Glazer's fuck off.

No comments: