Monday, January 12, 2015

Manchester United 0-1 Southampton

Well I expected a difficult game, and we certainly got that. I've also expected out luck to run out at some stage, and fuck me we got that as well. I don't really think we deserved to lose, they defended heroically, but apart from the goal and the chance they failed to take in the first couple of minutes, they hardly got over the half way line. But we certainly didn't deserve to win either, and after fluking the three points at their place, I suppose it was a kind of justice of sorts for them to go home with all the points and leap frog us in the table.
It was a poor performance, especially in the second half, not one shot on target tells its own story. Without being threatening I didn't think we were too bad in the first half. We passed the ball better than we have done recently, dominated possession and weren't the embarrassment we have been at times over the last couple of months. But once we got to the final third, it all went south, the final ball we woeful. Our wing backs were incapable of taking on their man and getting a decent ball in and Mata and Rooney fared no better. I'm no great fan of Mata, but he was one of the better players yesterday. Saying that he had two glorious chances and should have buried at least one of them. Rooney seems to have left his revived form behind, he wasn't at the races yesterday, I'm wondering how long the Van Gaal midfield experiment is going to last.
Though they mostly fed off scraps again, neither Van Persie or Di Maria were any better. I still would have left Di Maria on at the end, even when he's playing crap, he's capable of making things happen. The worry yesterday for me was Carrick seems to have been dragged down to the level of those around him, that was his poorest game since he got over his injury. We don't have one player who you could argue was in any kind of form. The system of three at the back becomes more of a joke by the week, where exactly is it getting us.
I can't say that I was overly bothered that Falcao wasn't even on the bench, I was glad he was dropped and if you are going to bring a fresh striker on I'd sooner see Wilson myself. In fact the way Van Persie played yesterday, injury or not, I think it's about time that Wilson got a run in the team. And whilst we're at it, I'd like to Januzaj given a proper run in the team as well. I have a feeling that pigs might fly on that front, but you live in hope.
We're in the middle of a run of fixtures that was supposed to see us cement that champions league spot. At the moment it's doing the exact opposite, in it's own way this season is becoming as gruesome and bizarre as last years debacle. 

No comments: