Monday, January 19, 2015

QPR 0-2 Manchester United

Another shit on a stick display, but at least we managed to take the three points this weekend. This was always going to be a tough game, even if we had been playing well. I actually feared the worst before the game, and the first half display didn't assuage those fears.
It was nice to see Van Gaal decide to revert to a back four in the second half without it being forced upon him by injury, as has generally been the case when he does it. I'm not sure about his reasoning though. After the game he admitted that as a team we are more creative playing with a back four, but that in his opinion it unbalances the team. Balanced or not, we don't have the players to make a back three work, that's if it would work anyway, which I'm pretty dubious about. We still haven't got one single outfield player throughout the whole squad who is any kind of form. That doesn't exactly tell you that every thing's working.
As for individual performances, the Falcao debate simmers on, I wouldn't be signing him and I would sooner be starting Wilson whilst Van Persie is out. But despite the misses on Saturday, and he should have scored at least one of the chances he was presented with, he brought more to the table than Van Persie has for most of this season. Truth be told I would be happy if neither of them is here next season, even if that means we have to spend money on a position that most don't see as a priority.
Rooney's recent less than stellar form seems to be going under the rainbow. Central midfield is not his position, what does the future hold out for him if Van Gaal doesn't see him as a central striker anymore. Once Di Maria was dropped deeper in the second half we started to see the Di Maria of last season and earlier this season. I get the feeling that this season it one big getting to know you experiment, starting Di Maria up top and Rooney in the middle, well it's different.
The less said about the defence the better. I couldn't believe that we now have a better defensive record than City after their disastrous defeat to Wenger's mob. I honestly don't know what the fuck that tells us, let's face it, De Gea's form is the main reason for that. I wasn't too upset when Mata went off for Fellaini, though not fan of the lanky Belgian, I'm no fan of Mata either. To be fair to him, he's not playing in the position he probably wants to play in, but still he brings so little to the party at times. It was good to see Wilson get some serious minutes on the pitch, I'm just hoping when Van Perie returns from injury, he doesn't get forgotten about.
I was surprised more wasn't made of Fellaini's goal celebration as he made straight for Januzaj, I can't be the only one that thinks a point was being made there. Given the results it turned out to be a vital three points, those champions league spots are becoming seriously competitive, Spurs, Arsenal and I've got my eyes on the dippers, are all within touching distance of us.

No comments: