Saturday, March 7, 2015

Newcastle United 0-1 Manchester United

Another grim, grim performance, redeemed at the death by the gift handed to Ashley Young to gift us the three points. Some seem to be content with the fare on offer from Van Gaal, I'm fucked if I am. It's just totally embarrassing as far as I'm concerned.
Once again Van Gaal's team selection had some scratching their heads and others spitting feathers. I had no problem at all at Falcao's demotion to the bench, but the inclusion of Fellaini? Playing Rooney up front could have seen Mata come back into the team, Januzaj given a more central role than usual, but as a well known red stated we started with Plan B.
As per usual it seems, United started slowly, possession for possession sake again. But I couldn't help wonder why he picked Fellaini to start in a more withdrawn role if that was the plan, some of his tactics just seem barking to me. Unfortunately Di Maria started where he left off on Saturday, hardly putting a foot right. He was sent through on goal by Rooney and should have had a dip with his right foot, but tried to beat his man to get it back onto his left and ended up losing it criminally. I was a fan and couldn't wait to see him in a red shirt, but it's all gone horribly wrong.
Some reds have seen signs of improvement in Smalling's game, I can't say I have myself. He got away with that tackle during the first half, which was an absolute stone wall penalty, the ref was well positioned so how he and his linesman missed that, fuck knows.
Rooney showed that why he may well be our best experienced first choice striker at the present time, he's still not really the answer as far as I'm concerned. I didn't think he had a bad game but that first half miss was a shocker. Saying that, if the linesman had kept his flag down as he should have done in the second half, maybe he'd have put it right.
It's hard to pinpoint any outfield player as having any kind of standout performance. But is that down to the players or the manager or the staff or what? Take Januzaj, for the first time this season, he really looked like the player we saw last season when he was brought on at half time on Saturday. But then dropped back to the bench to accommodate Fellaini, when he was finally brought on it was if Saturday never happened.
I'm dreading this run of games we've got coming up, I don't think we'll get really taken apart at Old trafford, though I'm not confident of any game but the Villa one. Those games at Anfield and Chelsea are a different matter.

No comments: