Friday, April 3, 2015



Music

Alex G - DSU: My first listen to this US indie pop act and I like what I hear. Pretty good stuff, not earth shattering but never boring.

Black Submarine - New Shores: I knew ex members of the Verve were a part of this UK indie/rock act, but not the Portishead part. Anyway it more than lives up to the sum of its parts, bit of a belter on the quiet.

Liars - Mess: I've enjoyed their last couple of albums and this is another decent effort, not sure I'd ever describe what they do as part pop as I've read some reviews describe them as.

Lily & Madeleine - Fumes: A reasonable follow up to their excellent debut album, US indie/folk sisters can deliver a tune.

Natalie Prass - Natalie Prass: This got some brilliant reviews, on my first few listens, I've got to say I didn't really get it. It's partly brilliant, but there are a couple of tracks that i just can't stand, the set closer especially. Take them out of it and i may have gone along with the hype.

Ole Borud - Stepping Up: This got good reviews, but was another i took time to warm to. There are tracks that remind me very much of Steely Dan and that's very good. But I'd taken this to be a soul album, and that part's a bit more hit and miss, some good, some a bit too 80's over production for my taste.

Wu-Tang-Clan - A Better Tomorrow: I have to admit I've only really started to listen to hip hop over the last few years, but this lot are one hip hop band I've always liked, their latest is well up to scratch.




No comments: