Sunday, May 31, 2015






Avishai Cohen Trio - From Darkness: Another decent album from the Israeli jazz pianist, though his albums are getting a bit samey as far as this listener is concerned.

Blur - The Magic Whip: It took me a fair few listens for me to start to get into this, which it hasn't really ever done for me before with Blur. I have grown to like it, but I'll admit I wouldn't know where to put it in the pantheon of great Blur albums. I read Paul Weller in Mojo say he thinks it's the best album they've done, I don't think I can go along with that.

DELS - Petals Have Fallen: Another I didn't fall in love with straight away and another I still haven't really decided how much I like. It has it's moments but there a couple of tracks that are bit throwaway for me. It's never boring though.

Dengue Fever - The Deepest Lake: After saying that I preferred this lot to The Cambodian Space Project, their latest album was a bit of a dissapointment really. There's nothing wrong with it, it's a decent listen, but nothing special and a bit of a step back from their last album.

Mariachi El Bronx - Mariachi El Bronx III: Another reasonable album, but I was expecting a bit more of the Mariachi, instead it's a pretty orthodox album really.

The Decemberists - What a Terrible World What a Beautiful World: A pretty good album from the US indie folk/rockers, a very consistent band.

Ultimate Painting - Ultimate Painting: A collaboration of Jack Cooper and James Hoare of Mazes and Veronica Falls. This album is that good, I'd suggest it's time to pack in the day job, superb.

No comments: