Friday, May 15, 2015



Music

Bob Dylan - Shadows in the Night: Some thought Dylan did this justice, in his own way! I'm not sure, it seems to work for me when I'm in the mood, which doesn't seem to be always.

Machito & His Orchestra - Kenya: I was on about my relationship to big band music when talking about Quincy Jones, this 50's classic wasn't on the same planet for me, but did have it's moments.

Mark Ronson - Uptown Special: I've never really known what to make of Ronson, he's made some great music, Amy Winehouse in particular, but some I could take or leave. But this is really excellent, it has to be said, some great collaborations in there.

Seu Jorge - Carolina: I have a lot oftime for the music of Brazil.whether Bossa Nova, Tropicalia or the funk that followed it. This is a more modern take from Jorge at the turn of the century and it's an excellent record taking in various styles, the funkier it gets the better I like it.

Swamp Dogg - The White man Made me do that gets off to a great start with the title track that is a brilliant tune that sets the tone for amixture of angry/funny lyrics and some great soul/funk music.

The Cambodian Space Project - Whisky Cambodia: I have heard an odd tune from this Australian/Cambodian project and watched that documentary. It's better than I had imagined, I think I'd still prefer Dengue Fever, but that's probably more western orienentated than this which seems pretty faithful to it's roots.

The Waterboys - Modern Blues: I loved the 80's period version, but have to admit not really taking much notice of Mike Scott's band since then. My mistake obviously because this is a corking record, starts with two or three outstanding tunes and ends with a ten minute plus blinder in Long Strange Golden Road.

TV on the Radio - Seeds: A favourite band of mine, but I had to admit their last album was not really up to scratch, decent, but they're better than that. This is right back to their best, inventive, but with tunes to remember, superb.











No comments: