Thursday, October 15, 2015






Music

LA Priest - Inji: I wasn't bowled over by this on my first couple of listens, but it grew on me, it's pretty cleverly done.

Leon Bridges - Coming Home: A pretty good soul/rock n roll retro debut album from the US artist, there are some fine tracks on it. If I have a criticism, it's a bit too wholesome, he needs to get down and dirty, some chance.

Ricardo Villalobos - Who Are We: An excellent E.P from the German techno meister, as per!

Robert Glasper - Covered: He says during the introduction to this live set, that it's not straight jazz, it sounds it pretty much it to me. Nothing wrong with that, his Black radio albums were very jazz influenced, but not anybody who liked them. but don't like jazz, probably won't like this. I liked it, was interesting listening to some of the Black radio stuff in a different context.

Roisin Murphy - Hairless Toys. It seems that albums of the year start even earlier nowadays, we get albums of the year so far, etc. Anyhow this album was on most of those lists and after listening to this, I have no doubt it will be on most of the end of year album lists, it's superb.

Tess Parks and Anton Newcombe - I Declare Nothing: This is another album to have a Velevets/Nico feel to it, as a few have over the last few years. It's decent , but there has been better, it's problem is not enough stand out tracks, the atmospherics of it right, but it doesn't stand out.

The Fall - Sub-Lingual Tablet: Fall albums reviews tend to be, he's got a cracking band around him and they have come up with the goods or it's just another Fall album with it's fair share of moments. The reviews I read for this tended to the former, but on balance I would tend to the latter. It has it's moments for sure, when it's good, it's excellent, yet it doesn't really stick in the mind.
Auto Chip





No comments: