Saturday, August 15, 2015

Aston Villa 0-1 Manchester United

The winning start continues, I suppose that is all that will concern Van Gaal. For some of us the football matters as well, and so far there has been nothing to write home about on that front.
The positives from last night were that defensively, we are starting to look far more solid than we did at any stage last season. I would put that down mainly to the signing of Schneiderlin, who really looked the part last night, it looks like the Frenchman really is going to be the business for us. He was making tackles all game long and alongside Carrick has given our back four a good shield. A settled back four may be part of the answer. Though i still can't see Blind as a centre half against the better teams. We look really strong in the full back positions though, Darmian and Shaw are both strong defensively and both get forward well.
Creatively it still really isn't happening though. Partly this must be due to the philosophy, but you can't help feeling that Rooney really has finally gone at the game. He has been on a downward trend for the last four or five years as far as I have been concerned. Each year he seems to lose a little more pace and as that has gone his inconsistent first touch has been going the same way. Januzaj may not have been brilliant last night despite the goal, but I still couldn't believe he was hooked before Rooney. He really was awful last night, he barely did a thing right and was so sluggish it was untrue.
I was glad Januzaj started as I have always rated him, as I've said he may not have had a great game, but he's capable of scoring goals like that. He needs to be loved and to be given a run of games. But Van Gaal doesn't seem great at man management does he. Why did he have to be so churlish about his performance after the game.
The way we strangled the game towards the end was encouraging in a way, but I'd sooner see us strangling the opposition with goals. Saying that, if Memphis had converted the fantastic pass from Mata during the second half maybe we would have done. I can see that we will probably improve during this season and that we will see better football than last season. But I can't say that the manager or the philosophy are really my cup of tea or my idea of what Manchester United should be all about.
It'll be interesting to see how much squad rotation we'll see during this season, I suspect Tuesday's game against Brugge will give us a fair idea. I'm expecting Schweinsteiger to start the game, if I'm right, it will be interesting to see who joins him.

No comments: