Thursday, August 13, 2015





Music

Boz Scaggs - Boz Scaggs: I've heard a little of Boz Scaggs, the singles and what not, but never any of his albums. So this his first critically acclaimed solo album was a bit of an eye opener, very superior blue eyed soul with a smattering of country and blues along the way. The peumultimate track Loan me a Dime with Duane Allman on lead is just majestic.

Dutch Uncles - O Shudder: I wasn't sure about this, personally I wasn't that blown away by their previous album, it was a touch, sub par Everything Everything for me. I'm still not mad on the vocal style, but this is a better album, not great, but an improvement.

Nneka - My Fairy Tales: I am really into this album, hip hop, soul and reggae, it's got a really good fusion of styles from the Nigerian female artist.

Palma Violets - Danger in the Club: Their debut was a decent indie rock album that owed a debt to late 70's/early 80's punk/new wave. This follows the same formula and to largely similar results, good, but not earth shattering.

Seasick Steve - Sonic Soul Surfer: The song remains the same for Seasick Steve, and I for one aint complaining, he hits the spot again.

Tal National - Zoy Zoy: I don't know much about this west African outfit, except they are supposed to be a mish mash of African styles, well it works because this is a pretty good listen.

The Staves - If I Was: Another good album from the UK soft rock sister trio. Memorable songs and superb vocals.

Villagers - Darling Arithmetic: I loved the Irish mans last album and this is just as good, it's a more introspective affair, heavy on anit bigotry, homophobia, a compelling listen.







No comments: