Thursday, August 27, 2015

Brugges 0-4 Manchester United

I didn't see any of the first half so this is just a reflection of what I saw during the second half and what i got told about our first half performance. I was slightly surprised to see Schneiderlin dropped to the bench, I mean it was always going to happen, it's just that this was the last game I thought it'd happen. I didn't think Januzaj would start again, but Van Gaal must see something that or he's putting him in the shop window.
Apparently the first half performance was basically more of the same, except they got that crucial goal that basically killed the tie. It was a nice little run from Memphis to put Rooney in who opened his account for the season in style.
As to the second half, obviously it was great to see United attacking, creating chances and at times looking like they could score at will. But I'm afraid we really have got to take the paucity of the opposition into account. There were times United were almost playing at walking pace, but still managed to rip them apart. I think we can safely say that will not be the case on Sunday.The second goal was a lovely passing movement, but even there Brugges gave the ball away far too easily in a ridiculous area of the pitch. It was also a great pass from Schweinsteiger for Herrera's goal, but surely the centre half should have cut it out, think Phil Jones having a moment!
What to say about Hernandez, the penalty miss was that of someone whose confidence looks to be shot. And then that miss minutes later from Young's cross was the kind of chance he'd have finished in his sleep when he first came. There's differeing take's on Van Gaal's glance at Giggs after the penalty miss, it didn't look good for his future at United was my take on it.
So on to Swansea on Sunday, I hope I'm wrong but I'm expecting this performance to turn out to be a temporary blip at the beginning of the season. That doesn't mean we won't win, I just don't expect to see that kind of football from United in the premier league any time soon.

No comments: