Monday, September 21, 2015

Southampton 2-3 Manchester United

I was fairly apprehensive before the game, as I had said earlier, this was the kind of game I could see us losing. And the first twenty five minutes seemed to support that view as we conceded one and lived on the edge of conceding another. There isn't much subtlety to teams tactics when facing us at the moment, get the big strong forward onto Blind's side of defence and hammer away.
As at Swansea, it worked a treat for the home team as Pelle reaped havoc on the left side of our defence. I didn't think we'd miss Shaw as much as we did either, I'm not that much of a fan of Rojo, he's not a bad player, but he's nothing out of the ordinary either. That said, if he is going to play maybe he'd be better at centre half. There was a good case for playing Young at left back, going forward I think I'd like to see him given another go there.
Needless to say De Gea was possibly the difference between us walking away with any points or with out tails between our legs. That save in the second half, really was something else.
The equaliser came out of nowhere really, but what a cool finish it was from our new young French striker. Martial really has started as if that transfer fee was realistic. When the ball came to him for his second, I had no doubt that he would tuck it away. That's nuts really when we'd only seen him play one full game, but he just has that air about him. Rooney was absolutely awful again. Van Gaal installed him deeper in the number ten role, but he constantly joined in central midfield, instead of giving thehome team the problems that Mane had given us for that first half an hour.
I have to mention Carrick's performance yesterday, he never really looked happy all afternoon for whatever reason. That was his worst game in a long, long time. I have to admit being relieved when Schweinsteiger came on for him, I never thought I'd say that about him. Memphis Depay had another in and out game, he rarely looked like getting the better of his full back, yet he came alive when given a sight of goal when he  unluckily hit the post and Mata then finished to put us 3-1 up.
Their late second goal gave us a bit of a nervous last ten minutes or so, but we held out and probably just about deserved. I wonder what kind of line up we'll see for the Ipswich game, I hope to see plenty of youth, Wilson, Lingard, etc. I've a feeling we'll see a fairly experienced line instead, fingers crossed!
  

No comments: