Monday, January 25, 2016

Manchester United 0-1 Southampton

And so it goes on, yet another utterly wretched performance, bizarre tactics and substitutions that seem to take no account of the actual state of the game.
To be fair the opposition were no better, you could make a case that we deserved absolutely nothing, we hardly tested their goalie all afternoon, but then again neither did they. They only really seemed to believe they could get something during those last ten minutes  and even then it was only ever going to happen from a set play they were so poor from open play. So having said that, what on Earth does that say about us.
Why he reverted to three at the back with two holding midfielders at home to a team badly out of form, god only knows, football genius it isn't, got that Woody! Fellaini, Schweinsteiger and Herrera slightly further forward provided absolutely nothing. Rooney with a big powerful centre half against him reverted to type as he could barely do anything right. Martial just seems to want to run headless chicken style with the ball at the moment, I like him but he's got to get his head up and involve other players, play one two's. He's showing worrying signs of going down the Memphis Depay route playing solely for himself.
I don't like United fans booing, but I have to admit what on Earth is the alternative when served up such an absolute joke of a performance. Though whilst Van Gaal deserves all the stick, the players are getting off pretty lightly really. The reception Mata got as he replaced the hapless Fellaini at half time summed that up for me. For those of us who never thought he was a United player, we have been proved right a fair few times over I would have thought. An yet here was been received as our saviour, an Eric, a Ronaldo or a Scholes he definitely is not. I told those around me, that though I was glad Bogbrush had gone off, his replacement would change nothing. Did he?
Januzaj got stick for giving a needless free kick away that led to the goal, I have to admit I was past caring by the point and I haven't seen the highlights, so I don't really know what the score is on that. But it seems a bit unfair to be blaming him, he's not been involved since August, I'll start judging him when he gets a few 90 minutes under his belt.
So here I type this on the Monday morning and Van Gaal is still the manager of Manchester United, the club is a mess from top to bottom!

No comments: