Monday, January 11, 2016

Manchester United 1-0 Sheffield United

It's got to this, it's 0-0 we're in the injury time of a third round FA cup tie and United get a penalty. My reaction is to be gutted, and to actually want the taker to miss. My reaction to the goal is to stay seated, to not clap and just shake my head. It has come to this.
Given the opposition, this was possibly yet a new low point of the reign of Louis Van Gaal. Yes it took us 70 minutes to have a shot on goal against a division 1 side and that's a statistic that says volumes. But it was the line up and then the attitude of the players, the lack of quality, just about everything really.
Two sitting defensive midfield players at home against a third tier outfit, and one of them was Fellaini for fuck sake. Just what on Earth is that all about. To compound the crime, Sheffield United offered absolutely nothing going forward. When you think of the really poor sides we have struggled against at Old trafford this season, you start to think the Moyes era wasn't so bad after all. I mean Moyes was patently not up to the job, but we did play attacking football at times. There's just nothing remotely exciting about football under Van Gaal, I'd go as far as to say I literally hate watching United at the moment. I got to about 20 minutes into the game before I knew it was going a long afternoon, against an opposition that a decent side would beat into their sleep. I could See that the players looked as if they had gone on strike again and it was going to be mind numbing. It was around that time that I realised that the only way we would get any excitement during this match was if Sheffield United took the lead.
I could go through individual players but I'll pick a couple out, Herrera and Mata, both had stinkers. But to be fair to Mata, he was trying, it just never happened for him. But Herrera, oh dear and he's got so many reds who love him. I'm not sure how you can go on loving after that, a spineless cowardly performance, they both deserved to be subbed during the second half.
As ever, who knows what will happen during the next couple of games. Newcastle are a mess and Liverpool are badly injury hit, so we could take something from both games, would you put money on it though? I know one thing, if the players don't put it in at Anfield they can all just fuck off. The club just gives off a big fucking stink at the moment, it's rotten to the core.

No comments: