Thursday, August 16, 2007

Portsmouth 1-1 Manchester United

Oh dear, I don't think this was the start any of us expected. Last night wasn't a disaster, considering our record at Fratton park over the last few years, it was a fair enough result. But two draws against the lesser teams whilst Chelsea have won both of theirs, without Terry for both and then Carvalho for the second half of last night, has seen them get off to a flier. Add to that the loss of Rooney for two months and now Ronaldo for three games, and the first of those games against a rejuvenated City, and things ain't looking as rosy as they might have been. One thing that Fergie never did last season was rest Rooney and Ronaldo together, thankfully injuries never dictated it happened either. I can't say I would have been very confident if it had happened last season. And for all our summer signings, I can't say I am looking forward to the next three games either.
The two areas most reds thought needed strengthening in the summer were central midfield and an out and out centre forward. The acquisition of Hargreaves and Anderson looks to have taken care of midfield, whilst the signing of Nani has given us more cover out wide, especially with Park injured and with the likely hood that Giggs wont be plying his trade there any more. But the selling of first Smith and then Rossi, with just the incoming Tevez didn't really seem to solve the centre forward conundrum. I know Fergie says he thinks that Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo can play together, and he may well be right, but surely there are still going to be times when you need something different up front. Having twice brought on John O'shea it would seem Fergie can see this, which leads me to the conclusion that he must be pinning his faith on Saha.
That seems a touch on the optimistic side to me, i'm afraid.But if that is the case I would pick Saha as soon as he is fit, we don't want Tevez under too much pressure so soon after his arrival.
There were plus points from last night, we played at lot better than on Sunday, we created chances, especially in the second half and Tevez fitted in well. The goal from scholes was a beauty, he is looking as good as ever fortunately. I thought he may have Hargreaves besides him last night, and I wonder why he wasn't on the bench. I hope this injury isn't more than the niggle we keep hearing it is. I am not sure why he keeps bringing O'shea on, to me Pique would be the better option. He is better in the air, can pick a pass out as well as most midfielders and is probably more likely to get you a goal.
I can't blame anybody for their goal, it was a good goal, maybe a more defensive team would have stopped it, but that's because they would have had more men behind the ball. So we enter a derby knowing we still wouldn't go level on points with them even if we win, when was the last time that happened.

No comments: